Organizational Unit: Operations
Duty Station: Malmö, Sweden
Duration of contract: Two-year fixed-term appointment
1. Organizational setting
The World Maritime University (WMU) is a postgraduate education, research and capacity building university established in 1983 by the International Maritime Organization (IMO), a specialized agency of the United Nations. It is a centre of excellence for high-level maritime and oceans education, research, scholarship and capacity building, including for the promotion, advancement and efficiency of shipping and related fields, the improvement of maritime safety and security, and the protection of the marine environment in furtherance of the purposes and objectives of the IMO and the United Nations system. WMU’s fundamental objective is also to provide the international community, and in particular developing countries, with a centre for high-level maritime education, research, scholarship and capacity building and an effective means for the sharing of maritime technology from developed to developing maritime countries.
The World Maritime University is seeking an experienced Vice-President with an excellent academic track record in teaching, with leadership and managerial skills to fill the post of the Vice President – Academic Affairs. The person selected will work closely with and report to the President of WMU.
2. Main purpose
Under the direction of the President WMU, the Vice President, Academic Affairs serves as the one of the academic leaders of the university and is responsible for maritime and oceans education policy and academic programmes at the Malmö headquarters of the University. The responsibilities include programme review and improvement, accreditation and self-evaluation, assessment of student learning and advancement of student success, academic personnel decisions, budget development, enrolment management, fiscal accountability, programme and curriculum development, and the encouragement, improvement of teaching and learning and building a solid academic team of the WMU to promote the university to its highest excellence in its education and training programmes.
3. Duties, responsibilities
The ideal candidate for this position is an experienced leader with a clear, focused commitment to teaching, learning and academic excellence to promote success of the WMU’s Strategic Plans and educational outcomes. This candidate is a creative, visionary leader, team builder, excellent manager, who will inspire Faculty, staff and students. The candidate is an innovative thinker who seeks innovative solutions to problem solving and is a critical thinker with outstanding interpersonal, written and oral communication skills. The candidate is highly ethical, trustworthy, credible, loyal and is respectful of diverse views and opinions. The candidate is flexible and inter-culturally competent and is a person whose leadership style is collegial, approachable, and accessible within the university. The candidate is able to delegate responsibility and authority while maintaining accountability. This seasoned professional fosters cohesion and a sense of working together for the good of the WMU and is committed to the effective use of technology within academic and administrative environments. The candidate must possess innovative leadership qualities and capacity to champion a vision for the University, with demonstrated skills in strategic and operational planning, policy development, quality management, research design and project management with excellent team leadership skills.
The Vice President, Academic Affairs, under the supervision of the President, is expected to:
- Lead in the coordination of the design and delivery of academic programmes, including the PhD and MSc programmes, through continuous review and updating of the PhD programme and the seven MSc specializations as well as the quality of their delivery and outcomes;
- Provide strong, dynamic academic and administrative leadership and foster a collegial environment which encourages scholarship, teaching, research and learning excellence;
- Possess the vision to guide and develop WMU’s academic programmes into the future;
- Understand, appreciate and promote the mission of WMU and is able to relate it to the educational, research and training objectives of the University and take decisions consistent with its mission and goals;
- Advocate and promote quality instruction, student success, integrated planning, and the expansion of Learning Outcomes to meet the changing educational needs of students in a diverse environment;
- Work with the Academic staff in development of the educational programme, including the maintenance of standards and the evaluation of courses;
- Plan, in coordination with other administrators and faculty, the schedule of courses, classes, seminars, and field studies;
- Provide leadership and oversight for enrolment management strategies, initiatives and efficiencies;
- Provide oversight of assessment of Student Learning Outcomes and University-wide accreditation;
- Provide innovative and successful academic leadership and vision in instruction and programme development;
- Provide proposals to, and receive guidance and recommendations from the President regarding the planning, implementation and review of academic programmes, services, activities and related matters;
- Act as the lead officer in the recruitment and selection process for faculty, and submit recommendations to the President concerning the outcomes of the process;
- Prepare documents required for submission to the governance structures of the University relating to the academic programmes and attend sessions as may be required;
- Provide support to the President in the area of programme development, monitoring, evaluation, preparing reports for submission to the governance bodies of the University and in other areas as required.
4. Minimum requirements – education, experience and language skills
- A PhD in a relevant field, including: maritime transportation, marine or ports fields, international law, natural or marine science or related field.
- Ideally 15 years experience in working in the higher education sector;
- A strong record of internationally recognised research and publication in fields of maritime and/or ocean fields;
- Thorough knowledge of IMO, other UN institutions with maritime or ocean-related mandates, their aims, objectives and activities;
- A strong history of academic achievement, including postgraduate teaching, and supervision of research (ideally 10 years);
- Excellent leadership, team building and management skills;
- A track record of success in obtaining large research grants, managing research programmes with a focus on maritime and marine-related fields;
- Commitment to academic excellence in an international maritime and ocean environment;
- Understanding of and familiarity with the maritime and ocean industries and their current challenges;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes;
- Knowledge of the UN Sustainable Development Agenda.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Knowledge of another UN language would be an advantage.
Desirable Qualifications, Competencies and Professional Experience
- An understanding of WMU and its mission, and strong commitment to the delivery of the highest standards in pursuing its mandate;
- The ability to enthuse and motivate and supervise research and support staff;
- Excellent knowledge and experience in Learning Outcome design, Professional development, implementation, and assessment;
- Knowledge and experience in curriculum development and innovation;
- Knowledge and experience in accreditation self-evaluation or service on an accreditation evaluation team.
- Excellent team building and leadership skills;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Diversified working experience, especially at the international level;
- Computer literacy;
- Demonstrated skill in respectful, sensitive communication with people from diverse backgrounds, cultures, language, gender and abilities;
- The ability to work with a diverse academic and non-academic team.
5. Terms and Conditions
WMU seeks to increase the number of women at all levels and, therefore, qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply. WMU will make every effort to facilitate the employment of persons with disabilities.
The position offers an attractive salary (D1 Grade of the ICSC salary scale), free of income tax in Sweden, a benefits package and relocation expenses. Salary: US$97,805 net per annum plus a post adjustment (currently US$40,980).
The position offers an attractive salary (D1 Grade of the ICSC salary scale), free of income tax in Sweden, a benefits package and relocation expenses. Applicants must fill in the application form, which can be found at http://wmu.se/vacancies. Should send a letter of interest, a complete CV, and the contact information of three referees to Marco Batista, Head of Human Resources (email@example.com).
Deadline for Applications: 31 May 2018.