The Max Planck Foundation for International Peace and the Rule of Law is looking to fill a project-related position for Research Fellow in the Sudan project.
Location: Max Planck Foundation Office in Heidelberg, Germany
Term: Fixed term (1 year), with possibility of extension
Estimated starting date As soon as possible
Closing date for applications: 29 April 2018
The Max Planck Foundation for International Peace and the Rule of Law is based in Heidelberg. It continues the extensive consulting, training and research projects of the “Global Knowledge Transfer” working group, which existed from 2002 to 2012 at the Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law (MPIL). Within the framework of its research activities, the Foundation carries out several “Global Knowledge Transfer Projects” in various countries (see: http://www.mpfpr.de). The Foundation’s projects focus on consultancy, capacity building and academic research in the fields of public international law, comparative constitutional law and the rule of law in post-conflict countries and countries in transition.
The Research Fellow will implement project activities promoting the rule of law, including capacity-building workshops and technical legal advice in the areas of comparative constitutional law and public international law. Specific topical focus areas include constitution building processes, constitutional drafting, decentralisation, systems of governance, fundamental rights/freedoms and issues related to the management of diversity.
Under the supervision of a Managing Director/ the Head of Project, successful candidates shall
- Organise and implement legal capacity-building workshops/conferences in Sudan for Sudanese stakeholders (state actors, legal personnel and other target groups such as civil society);
- Provide technical legal advice and assistance to project partners;
- Undertake advanced legal research;
- Draft training materials (including manuals on comparative constitutional law);
- Travel to the project country and liaise with local partners;
- Carry out administrative tasks required for the implementation of the project’s components;
- Draft project reports and fulfil project-related monitoring and evaluation duties;
Education and Professional Experience
Advanced degree (M.A.) in law and extensive knowledge of public international law and comparative constitutional law is required. The profile of successful candidates must demonstrate an area of specialisation or practical experience relevant to the project work of the Foundation as well as the ability to deliver high-level academic work. Regional or country experience in Sudan will be of an advantage.
Fluency (written and oral) in English required.
Fluency (written and oral) in Arabic will be an advantage.
Other Skills & Competencies
- Strong interpersonal skills in a multi-cultural environment, including excellent communication skills and the ability to work independently as well as in a team setting;
- Flexibility, including demonstrated ability to work under pressure, to adapt to changing work and project circumstances and to respond to unforeseen developments;
- Excellent organisational skills, i.e. skilled in setting priorities and meeting deadlines, and ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Ability to present high-level academic work to non-experts in a service-orientated manner;
- Willingness to travel frequently to Sudan for workshops and related activities;
- Computer literacy skills with standard software.
Assessment of qualified candidates will include a competency-based test and one interview.
The Max Planck Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and encourages qualified men and women, including those with disabilities, to apply.
Only candidates eligible for a valid residence and work permit in Germany will be taken into consideration.
All positions are contingent upon funding.
Research Fellows are based in Heidelberg, Germany, with frequent travels to the region.
Remuneration will be based on the Collective Agreement on Public Service Wages under German Law (Tarifvertrag des Öffentlichen Dienstes – TVöD).
Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject ‘Sudan project’). Kindly indicate how you learnt of this vacancy.
Closing date: 29 April 2018