An experienced and highly motivated Postdoctoral scientist is being sought to join Dr Chris Watson’s research group, in collaboration with Dr David Grieve and Professor Tim Curtis, based in the Centre for Experimental Medicine.
The post is available until 31 March 2019 to undertake a senior role within a newly funded study focused on cardiac arrhythmia. The project will focus on biomarker discovery and validation research using proteomics and RNA sequencing approaches. In vitro models will be developed using induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) to generate human cardiomyocytes to facilitate functional analysis work of lead candidate biomarkers.
Applications are invited from enthusiastic, motivated and efficient individuals with a strong commitment to research. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated background in cardiovascular disease, epigenetics, or closely related fields in biomedicine with an excellent PhD degree awarded. The candidate should be committed to developing a dynamic, academic career in science and have excellent communication skills in written and spoken English.
We offer scientific development opportunities in an international and interdisciplinary environment and support our postdoctoral fellows with a Centre-based mentoring program to support career development.
The successful candidate must have:
- A relevant PhD (or be about to obtain before May 2018) in Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Pharmacology or a related area of Biomedicine.
- Recent relevant research experience in cardiovascular disease, or closely related area relevant to this project in molecular/cellular biology or biomedicine (PhD thesis must be submitted).
- Recent extensive hands-on experience in two of the following:
- cell culture/transfection;
- tissue sectioning and histology;
- Western Blotting
- worked with clinical samples/data;
- iPSC based research.
- Recent high quality original publications in reputable peer-reviewed journals, commensurate with career stage.
- Experience teaching/supervising/mentoring postgraduate/undergraduate/school students and visiting researchers in the laboratory.
Further information about the Centre can be found at www.qub.ac.uk/research-centres/CEM/ or in relation to Dr Chris Watson’s research at http://go.qub.ac.uk/Chris-Watson
Anticipated interview date: Thursday 7 June 2018
Salary scale: £32,548 – £38,833 per annum (potential to progress to £42,418 per annum through sustained exceptional contribution)
For full criteria and to apply online, visit www.qub.ac.uk/jobs. For further information or assistance contact Human Resources, Queen’s University Belfast, BT7 1NN. Telephone (028) 9097 3044 or email on HR@qub.ac.uk
The University is committed to equality of opportunity and to selection on merit. It therefore welcomes applications from all sections of society and particularly welcomes applications from people with a disability.
Fixed term contract posts are available for the stated period in the first instance but in particular circumstances may be renewed or made permanent subject to availability of funding.