The LTE Group requires an experienced research and planning professional to join our central team based in Wythenshawe. This role would suit a highly motivated, self-starter who has the research experience and policy understanding to contribute to a dynamic group function. The team creates planned and bespoke research projects using the latest external policy evidence, and combined with research, data and intelligence, we support growth and identify opportunities across the group’s businesses.
Who we are
LTE group is the first integrated education and skills group of its kind and the largest social enterprise in the country dedicated to learning, training and employment. With around 4,500 colleagues and more than 100,000 students and learners, the Group reflects the combined strengths and services of our five leading organisations:
- The Manchester College – further education programmes from entry to level three.
- MOL- national provider of online and blended professional training, qualifications and accreditations.
- Novus- UK’s largest national justice sector training and education specialist.
- TotalPeople – work-based learning, apprenticeships and training provider.
- UCEN Manchester – higher education provision from access through to undergraduate and postgraduate.
The transfer of specialist knowledge facilitated by our Group structure makes us a leading commentator on sector policy, and enables knowledge-sharing with our stakeholders to promote our values and vision. Our Group aims to become the ‘go to’ organisation and leading authority in the sector for learning, training and employment.
As part of the 35-strong Marketing and External Relations department, the role reports to the Group Head of Research and Planning. This team supports innovation, explores commercial opportunities and informs strategic decision-making for businesses across the LTE Group. Core responsibilities for this include:
- Supporting the Group Head in developing the research and planning team; improving standards and performance, whilst collaboratively developing data-informed plans, through best practice of creation and application of primary and secondary research.
- Lead and represent the team at relevant business unit and group meetings, promoting and advancing the work of the team to underpin business direction in achieving targets.
- Closely collaborating with colleagues in management information, performance, finance and business planning; monitoring and reporting the performance of research projects; undertaking post project evaluation, ensuring review process/feedback.
- Develop culture among senior leadership teams to understand research and planning capability and capacity and the business benefits, along with key contacts and processes (i.e. process for development and delivery of projects).
- Develop a smart and consistent approach to working with broader marketing and external relations teams (specifically Policy, Public Affairs and Communications and Marketing) to produce collaborative market research reports, to drive strategic decisions and planning in key markets and that support engagement and influencing.
- To provide technical support on research projects and core strategic planning cycles; including data collection, collation, analysis and interpretation, and assistance in report preparation and the development of key recommendations.
- To provide confident communication of research findings to executive and senior colleagues across the group in a diverse range of businesses, through presentations, reports, news and digital channels.
Applicants should have:
- Graduate/post-graduate qualification in relevant subject area.
- Deep knowledge of national, regional and local economic and employment data.
- Extensive hands-on project expertise gained in similar scale, complex environment with a direct responsibility for research and planning function.
- Strong people skills to motivate, train and coach colleagues in research and planning techniques as necessary.
- Specialist knowledge of relevant software tools e.g. EMSI, Vector, MiDES, and regular user of specialist research, data andother LMl software tools in an education or similar environment.
- Detailed understanding of the collection, analysis and use of data, and the application of research methodologies and use of statistics through demonstrable recent experience of conducting research projects from design to completion.
- An understanding of FE/HE data and systems, with awareness of the Government’s current skills and education policies.
- Excellent interpersonal/communication skills, both written and verbal, including the ability to present complex ideas in clear ways appropriate to a variety of internal and external audiences,building productive working relationships.
- Proven experience of successfully working to challenging deadlines, with the ability to delegate work, set clear direction and manage workflow, including scoping, scheduling and managing a multitude of activities.
LTE group is driven by a strong social mission and is committed to improving lives and economic success through learning and skills. If you share our passion and ambition, and are looking to contribute in a challenging, unique and rewarding role, we want to hear from you.
Closing date for applications is 7th May 2018.
Interviews will be held at Howard House, Wythenshawe, Manchester.
The LTE Group is an equal opportunities employer welcoming applications from all sections of the community. All applicants must demonstrate in their application their ability to meet the Key Responsibilities, Key Result Areas and Qualifications/Skills/Experience detailed within the role profile for shortlisting purposes. Salaries are based on skills, qualifications and experience and are subject to job evaluation.