The Role and opportunity
AgResearch and Massey University have an exciting opportunity for a Post-doctoral Researcher to join the Food Assurance and Meat Quality and MIFST, Massey University teams based in Palmerston North, and support the delivery of the FIET Project in the area of food processing technologies.
The MAPable project is part of FIET – Food Industry Enabling Technologies, which aims to support the uptake and commercialisation of new or underutilised technologies by NZ food industries.
You will help to develop new dynamic network models to describe the complex interactions between ingredients, physicochemical and microbiological processes and the organoleptic characteristics of food during successive food process operations with a particular focus on microwave technology. These models will be used to make decisions around food safety and product quality and shelf life and inform risk management plans for new food processing operations and technologies. The work will focus on a new technology that uses microwaves to assist in the thermal processing of foods, and the application of this technology to a broad range of food products.
In this role you will be working with a number of highly enthusiastic multi-disciplinary project teams delivering high quality science outcomes relevant to New Zealand food industry priorities.
What you will be doing
- Work with the broader team to design and implement experimental protocols that will generate the data required to support the modelling.
- Practical work in the laboratory and FoodPilot facilities; and involvement in all stages of the preparation, processing and analysis of food products.
- Supervising internship students working on the project, as well as co-supervise a PhD student.
Your ideal background
- PhD degree in a relevant field or appropriate post graduate qualification and relevant practical experience.
- Proven track record in a relevant agricultural science area (preferably including food processing and modelling complex systems).
- Peer-reviewed publication record.
- Proven delivery of outcomes to the agricultural sector.
- Good understanding of the NZ food industry and key industry relationships.
- Uses scientific methodologies for all research, including literature searching; hypothesis-based experimental design and statistical analysis; and follows rigorous development and documentation procedures for research protocols. Has an understanding of intellectual property.
When your work environment fits your values and your lifestyle, it’s a better place to be! AgResearch provide a diverse range of benefits including flexible working options that help our staff balance their own lifestyle and needs with their work commitments. You can view the full list here: http://www.agresearchcareers.co.nz/working-here/our-benefits/
How to apply
If this sounds like you, apply today via https://careers.sciencenewzealand.org/agresearch-jobdetails/ajid/v2cx8/Post-doctoral-Researcher,27747.html with a covering letter detailing why you feel you would be suitable for this position.
For a confidential discussion contact Gale Brightwell, Science Team Leader on +64 6 351 8678 or Abby Thompson on email@example.com
Applications close Monday 14th May 2018.