Grading: 6, 7 or 8 depending on experience and qualifications
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organizations in the world. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany), with additional sites in Barcelona (Spain), Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton (UK) and Rome (Italy).
EMBL is looking for a Laboratory Animal Resource Manager for the Epigenetics and Neurobiology Unit near Rome, Italy.
The postholder will report to the Head of EMBL Rome and he/she will be in charge of:
• Managing the animal facility, including supervision of a team of some fifteen animal husbandry technicians
• Maintaining facility equipment and overseeing its reliable operation
• Supervising and resolving animal care issues, including health control plan with dedicated Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
• Supervising and implementing standard operating procedures (SOPs) for importation and exportation of mice to/from the facility
• Assuring compliance with EU directives, national laws and internal regulations regarding animal welfare and act as the named Animal Care and Welfare Officer
• Overseeing waste handling to ensure that biohazard policies and procedures are followed
• Reviewing experimental protocols and coordinating operations with Laboratory Heads, the facility veterinarian and the Internal Animal Welfare Committee
• Providing periodic training courses for research and other personnel in aspects of animal husbandry and animal handling
• Maintaining facility records, including those related to animal welfare, safety, personnel training, controlled pharmacy, facility access, and facility environment
• Managing the Phenotyping Facility
Qualifications and Experience
Applicants should hold a Master’s degree or equivalent related work experience in animal welfare science. Ideally three years of hands-on work-related experience in a managerial or supervisory role of a laboratory animal facility is mandatory. Veterinarian qualification is not required, but it is considered advantageous. He/she should be able to plan, direct, coordinate, and budget all activities of the animal facility. The successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal skills, and have good communication and computer skills. Fluent spoken and written English is required. Italian is not required, but motivation and willingness to learn the language must be demonstrated.
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs
An initial contract of 3 to 5 years’ duration will be offered to the successful candidate. This can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
The working language of the Unit is English.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprise a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family.