Contract Duration: 5 years (renewable)
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory is a world-leading life-science research organisation funded by over 24 governments. We are international, innovative, interdisciplinary and highly collaborative, with 1,800 employees from many nations working on six sites in Barcelona, Cambridge, Grenoble, Hamburg, Heidelberg and Rome.
EMBL has a long and successful history in identifying and obtaining external funds to further its research activities. EMBL currently receives approximately €50 – €60m a year in such funding income from an increasingly wide range of funders. This currently equates to over 350 live projects. Based at EMBL Heidelberg, as the Head of Grants Services you will directly manage a team of five staff who provide centralised administrative support to the Laboratory for all of its external funding activities as well as overall co-ordination of grant staff based in EMBL’s other locations. Reporting to the Head of Finance you will be responsible for:
- Management of the process for review, negotiation and finalisation of all grant agreements, consortium agreements and other related grant contractual documents;
- Supporting EMBL Principal Investigators and other grant applicants in identifying external funding opportunities, applying for such opportunities and in the management of all awarded grants and similar awards;
- Monitoring grants compliance across EMBL, management of general grant compliance issues at an EMBL level and providing support, training and guidance to grant holders in their management of grant compliance at an individual award level;
- Management of grant related financial conflict of interest disclosure requirements;
- Management of grant related modules of EMBL’s integrated research system (Converis) and other grant related administrative systems;
- Review and streamlining of EMBL’s grants administration and promotion of a culture of excellent customer service to EMBL’s scientific community;
- Maintaining good and proactive relations with grant awarding bodies, liaising effectively over changes in funding schemes, identifying impacts to EMBL of changes in funder requirements and policies and establishing initial action plans to within EMBL to address any resultant issues; and
- Ensuring the provision of services necessary for the expansion of grant funding activities.
Qualifications and Experience
We are looking for candidates with strong grants management experience gained in a scientific environment and proven experience in management of teams. As a senior manager, you will successfully identify funding sources, manage relations with research funding bodies at multiple levels, and understand the management of grant compliance and contracts. You are able to communicate equally well with scientists, administrators and management and demonstrate a history of proactive management of projects and problems. As a true leader, you will have experience in motivating and inspiring colleagues and will be capable of contributing to the well-being of the whole organisation as an important member of the senior management team.
Strong interpersonal skills, excellent organizational skills, familiarity with contracts together with IT literacy are desired. Candidates should be fluent in English and any working knowledge of German, French, Spanish or Italian would be advantageous.
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs