Applications for the post of Head of Administration are invited by the Isaac Newton Group of Telescopes (ING) to work on the Spanish island of La Palma.
The post will be responsible for the Administration Group and related activities (e.g. budgeting, financing and human resources etc.) whilst adopting a “hands-on” approach.
The post-holder will also be called upon to exercise power of attorney responsibilities.
The Head of Administration will have meticulous organisational and administrative skills, and well-developed managerial competencies. In addition, the capability to solve challenging problems will be paramount.
Excellent leadership skills and an aptitude to understand and adjust to changing landscapes are essential.
Communication skills are important as there will be a requirement to conduct business-related communications with stakeholders in English.
- Assume the responsibility for the management of the Administration Group
- Have overall responsibility for controlling ING’s finances and budgetary allocations
- Manage ING’s human resource requirements
- Contribute to ING’s development and future direction
- Ensure procurement activities following internal policies
- Oversee contracts
- Be educated to degree level
- Possess ideally ten years of work experience relevant to the duties
- Possess an ability to communicate effectively in English
- Ability to file folders and work at a computer
- Can drive a 4×4 vehicle between ING sites
- Be able to work at altitude
- Be able to work away from base
Essential Knowledge and Experience
- Understanding of accruals-based accounting
- Understanding of procurement standards
- Familiarisation with ICT
- Documented human resource management experience
- Ability to communicate to key stakeholders
- Proven interpersonal, teambuilding and delegation skills
- A service-oriented mentality
- Experience with and insight into strategic planning and implementation
- An ability to provide advice and make decisions
- Experience and ability to implement changes
Desirable Knowledge and Experience
The following will also be valued:
- possession of a degree in a relevant subject area;
- knowledge of the Spanish employment law;
- ability to work in a multi-cultural, international and multidisciplinary environment;
- ability to influence, negotiate and lead others;
- ability to execute a vision;
- ability to adopt a meticulous and proactive approach;
- ability to speak Spanish or a willingness to learn; and
- previous work experience in an observatory.
Following a six-month probationary period, this will be a permanent position. The appointment will be at grade G with a starting gross salary of €55,394 per annum, which is subject to income tax and social security deductions. After the first year, the salary will increase to €58,309 per annum.
Medical cover will be available to the appointee, partner and accompanying children under the Spanish National Health Service. The ING will assist in Social Security and the Health Service registration.
To apply for this post, follow the instructions on this page:
Select the English application form and complete it in English.
Submitted information will not be returned but will be held by the ING in accordance with data protection guidelines.
Further information is available from the Director, Dr Marc Balcells (email@example.com), + 34 922 425 410.
The ING is fully committed to equality of opportunity in the workplace.
The closing date for applications is 16:00 (BST) on the 31st May 2018.