European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL)
|Placed on:||5th March 2018|
|Closes:||15th April 2018|
Contract Duration: 3 years
Grading: 8 (monthly salary starting at £3,728 after tax). For more information about pay and benefits click here.
The ChEMBL team provides world-leading chemogenomics resources to the scientific community. Our flagship resource is ChEMBL, a database of quantitative small-molecule bioactivity data curated primarily from the scientific literature. SureChEMBL is a complementary patent resource containing chemical structures extracted from patents on a daily basis. UniChem links chemical structures across databases. These and related resources are accessed by many users from academia and industry. The team consists of an international and inter-disciplinary mix of professional scientists and software engineers. We are located at EMBL-EBI, a world-leading informatics centre providing life sciences data to the scientific community, performing basic research and offering an extensive user training programme.
We are looking to recruit a ChEMBL Coordinator. This is a critical role, involving hands-on involvement with the in-house team and active engagement with our extensive set of collaborators and users. The Coordinator will be expected to:
- Provide leadership to the scientists and developers in the ChEMBL team;
- Design and manage the implementation and maintenance of scientific applications and databases;
- Contribute to the development of long-term strategies, future plans, collaborative projects, grant applications and reporting;
- Contribute to staff development and evaluations, recruitment, and associated tasks;
- Represent the ChEMBL team and EMBL-EBI at relevant meetings and conferences;
- Keep abreast of, and contribute to, new developments in the field;
- Work with other team members to publish project outcomes in scientific articles in the peer-reviewed literature;
- Be actively involved in training and external user support;
- Work closely with other EMBL-EBI scientists and developers, for example to enable closer integration across resources.
The successful candidate will report directly to the Head of Chemistry Services. This is an opportunity for the right person to make a significant impact on how the scientific community uses bioactivity and molecular recognition data to drive the next generation of discoveries.
Qualifications and Experience
The successful candidate will hold a Ph.D (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline and will have ideally 7 years’ post-doctoral experience in Bioinformatics, Chemoinformatics and/or Molecular Modelling. (S)he will have significant experience with biological and chemical data, its analysis and practical applications in industry and/or academia. Experience with databases and programming/scripting languages are also important in contributing to the future development and applications of these resources. Further, (s)he will be skilled in the use of advanced analysis tools and applications such as sequence comparison, bioinformatics databases, structure analysis and drug discovery data.
Excellent written and oral communication skills, fluency in English, and attention to detail are required. Evidence of working effectively with collaborators and experience in leading and managing staff are also important. The position involves travel to meetings in the UK, Europe and beyond.
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV, with two referees, through our online system.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women.
Share this job
If you have a comment to make about the overall quality of this advert,
or its categorisation then please
send us your feedback