The Institute of Public Administration of the Faculty of Governance and Global Affairs – Leiden University wishes to announce a vacancy for the positions of an
Assistant Professors in Public Administration (2 positions of 1.0 FTE)
Due to further expansion, the Institute of Public Administration of Leiden University invites applications for two positions of Assistant Professor in Public Administration. We welcome candidates with various Public Administration profiles, including public sector governance, public policy, public management, public affairs, and international administration.
Due to new research and education programs we are particularly looking for a colleague with expertise or a proven interest and affiliation in digital government and big data, governance of sustainability, and/or public health.
- Teaching courses in the Bachelor and Master programs of the Institute and in affiliated programs and supervising Bachelor and Master theses and internships;
- Conducting high-quality research in the above mentioned fields, participating in national and international academic research networks and publishing in international academic journals;
- Participate in the development of new education and research programs;
- Taking part in commissioned research and playing an active role in connecting academic research to public administration practice;
- Acquiring research funding.
- Candidates hold a PhD in public administration, political science, organizational science, economics, or another relevant field in the social sciences. Candidates who are very close to finishing their PhD will also be considered.
- Candidates have a promising publication record that includes publications in international refereed journals.
- Candidates have a very good ability to teach and openness to innovative and engaging teaching methods, which is demonstrated by student evaluations and references.
- In addition to proficiency in English, fluency in Dutch is considered an important asset. Staff members would be expected to be functionally fluent in Dutch within two years after starting the job.
- Leiden University requires teaching staff to obtain the University Teaching Qualification (UTQ). If the successful applicant does not already possess this qualification or its equivalent, he/ she must be willing to obtain this Qualification within two years.
The Faculty of Governance and Global Affairs offers academic education in the field of Public Administration, Safety and Security, and International Relations, as well as in-depth post-academic programmes for professionals. In addition, the Faculty is also home to the Leiden University College.
The Institute of Public Administration situated in The Hague is one of the largest and oldest institutes of academic research and teaching in the field of public administration in the Netherlands. The institute combines a strong international academic reputation with a central positioning among the international, national, regional and local governance institutions of The Hague. The Institute of Public Administration has consistently received high ratings in peer reviews of both its teaching and research programs. The Institute offers a Dutch-language Bachelor program with two tracks, a Dutch-language Master program in Public Sector Management, and an English-language Master program in Public Administration. Information about the Institute of Public Administration can be found at http://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/governance-and-global-affairs/institute-of-public-administration.
Terms and conditions
The successful candidates will be part of an ambitious and dynamic team of public administration scholars. We offer a two year term position (with a trial period of two months), with the possibility of renewal based on need, funding and performance. The starting salary, depending on qualifications and experience, ranges from €48,497 to €75,432 gross per year on full-time base (pay scale 11 or 12 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. More at https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/working-at/job-application-procedure-and-employment-conditions.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Enquiries can be made to Dr G. Breeman, Scientific Director a.i., email email@example.com, telephone +31 70 800 9400.
To apply for this vacancy, please ensure that you upload the following additional documents in PDF format, quoting the vacancy number:
- A motivation letter;
- CV including a list of publications;
- A sample publication;
- Evidence of teaching experience and ability,
- The names and addresses of three referees.
Applications must be received no later than 16 May 2018 and can be sent by email to our Personnel Department at PenOvacatures@fgga.leidenuniv.nl.
Interviews will be held in the first weeks of June.